In a single egg there is about 69 different proteins (that's a lot!). Egg whites contain lysozyme, which is an enzyme that kills acne-causing bacteria. They also contain a high amount of vitamin A and collagen, which is known to fade scaring from acne, and any impurities on your skin such as large pores and rosacea. It also has properties for maintaining the elasticity of your skin, reducing the appearance of wrinkles and treat dry, dull skin.
This ancient secret is now out, more and more skincare lines are using eggs in their products. Korean brands such as too cool for school, tony moly, skinfood to name a few, all have a line of egg products. However, sometimes our skin just need a break from all the formulated skincare products. So the easiest way is to go back to the basics. Let's take a look at some of these DIY masks you can do at home.
1. Egg white mask:
- use 1 raw egg and remove the yolk
- mix the egg white until it gets into a frothy foam
- apply on face
Wait until it drys (trust me you can feel it tightening) and then rinse with warm water. You can instantly see how soft your skin looks and feel.
2. Egg white mask with honey and lemon juice (for acne prone skin):
- 1 raw egg with out the yolk
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of honey
- mix the egg white and lemon juice until its frothy then add honey and apply on face
Leave this on for 10-15mins until it dries and rinse with warm water.
Honey: has antibacterial properties and help moisturize the skin
Lemon juice: fights off acne causing bacteria and lightens the skin/scars
3. Egg white, avocado and yogurt mask - hydrating mask
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 ripe avocado
- 1 teaspoon yogurt (best to use plain yogurt)
- mash the avocado until its smooth
- add egg white and yogurt together and mix
- using a face mask brush or your fingers and apply on your face
- leave it on for 15-20mins and rinse with warm water
Avocados: moisturizes the skin
Yogurt: gets rid of acne causing bacteria with the live cultures it has, while keeping the skin soft, supple and hydrated